Monday, July 28, 2008

Arrival in London

Aboard the Anna-Maria
SHIP'S LOG
Day Ten

I pointed the bow of the Anna-Maria into the headwaters of the English Channel yesterday. With the wind in her sails, I should make the mouth of the Thames by nightfall, able to coast into her river's waters and navigate the remainder of the journey by the simple light of the night.

My staff should have already arrived at the townhouse, making it inhabitable after its many years of desertion, and my man Robert will have already secured a berth for the Anna-Maria at the London docks. I am sure the Master of the Harbour has by now received my letter and payment for such, by Robert's hand, and he should be anticipating my arrival.

I cannot decide which to be the better truth, my eagerness to know what London holds for me, or my loathing to leave the peace I have found upon the sea again.
Perhaps the two can marry.
Perhaps I will take into consideration the notion of more time to be spent in the exploration of England's coasts, since the Anna-Maria will be with me, and I can make good use of her services. There is some business I must attend to, as Benjamen wants to profiteer the winery at Pantera, and I have promised to make inquires as to English merchants that might purchase his excellent spirits. Also I must make my presence known to the Queen and extend the greetings and good tidings from His Majesty, King Alfonso, as a recognized courier of the Spanish court. I shall enlist Robert's aid in the diction of letters to procure such meetings as one of the first orders of business to which I attend.

But that is not to say I cannot proceed at whatever pace I so choose. It is not as if I have to eek out a livlihood, but I should like to have some type of activity fo fill my days. I dare say nights as well, but that would be asking for too much. Besides, I am capable of sitting with my ghosts now, in the dark hours, and holding onto my sanity.

Most assuredly....I can do that now.

It is the first day of July, 1888.
The first day of my life and the course it will take in London.
And I can do this now.

No comments: